Monday, November 23, 2015

A busy week in Trujillo


We worked the morning shift all week, opening the temple Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday with Bill covering the Recommend desk for the first 2 hours.  We had the afternoons off so we did lots of running in the afternoons.

The Post Office is still on strike so we went to Western Union. They don't send letters or envelopes. They sent us to the DHL office.  They wanted 200 soles to mail a large envelope. That is about $60. We have decided it is not worth trying to send anything to the USA.  So family, take note, you will not be receiving anything from us until we return home.

We didn't know they even had DHL. The sisters in the mission office say they even have Fed Ex.  I said, "I haven't seen any Fed Ex trucks."  They laughed and said, "that's because a little man delivers them on a bicycle with a basket."  Only in Peru!
This is the sign on the Post Office.  It says, "Long Live the Strike".
Western Union is ready for Christmas.  What a "beautiful" tree!
When I fell at the Plaza de Armas a few months ago I messed up my spare pair of glasses.  Since I am blind without them, we decided I needed a new pair so I would have a backup.  There are so many optical shops down here but as we were walking from the Western Union we found a nice large one.  When we went inside there was this cute girl, Ingrid, who spoke perfect English.  She was very helpful and we ordered me a new pair of glasses.  

Bill actually picked these out.  I wanted more color but Bill liked these gold rimmed ones with reversal temples from gray to aqua.  He says they match my hair.  Since he has to look at me, I ordered the ones he liked best.  He told me I could get another pair in a year before we go home - my choice.

Ingrid and me with my new glasses.
Another picture in the new glasses.
Glasses are really reasonable here.  These glasses cost 900 soles or $267.  That included the eye exam, frames with no line bifocal, antireflective lenses and photochromic lenses that turn dark outside.  They are also the thinest lenses for my prescription.  

We picked up my glasses four days after we ordered them.  They actually called the temple to tell me they were in.  When I went in the the office the Assistant Recorder told me my "lentes" were ready.  You never know what to expect down here.  I guess they called our apartment and since we weren't home it rang in the temple office.

That same day we went to the mission offices to talk with them about travel arrangements for us in January when the temple is closed for cleaning.
Here I am with Sister Marler, Sister Angell & Sister Vaughan.

The members really love their temple here. You can always see people walking, sitting or even laying down around the grounds.  Here are a few pictures we captured this week.












Coca Cola is a big item down here.  Coca Cola also owns Inca Kola which is the other main soft drink you see in the stores.  Bill tried to see how many Coca Cola signs he could find this week.









This is a Grandilla, a fruit that is native to the Andes Mountains.  You eat the slimy insides and black seeds.  I didn't like it when I first tried it.  I think it was a texture thing.  But it is starting to grow on me and I have actually bought several.  Bill still doesn't like them.






Scenes from the streets this week.

You've all heard of Purina Dog Chow, well, this is advertising Cuyina chow.  A cuy is a little guinea pig.  They raise cuy here for food, not pets.  We haven't tried eating cuy yet but it is on our list of things to try.  The Peruanos love it.



This little stand outside the catholic church sells candles, etc. to light inside.
Bill paying the Taxi driver.
Pedestrian Crossing Here
Men Working


And back home in the states - Brent and Amanda sold Kettle Corn at the Christmas Around the Square in Gallatin, Missouri.

Our granddaughters, Sadie and Hannah made snowmen with their mother.  Amanda's looks like he might have a major headache.  I thought they were cute and wanted to save them to my blog.  The snow will soon be flying in Missouri and Utah where our children and grandchildren live, while we head into summer in the Southern Hemisphere.




And since this Thursday is Thanksgiving, we want to wish all our family and friends who view this blog a very Happy Thanksgiving.  We are grateful to have you all in our lives and count our many blessings at this special time of year.  The temple missionaries have been invited the the Marlers for Thanksgiving dinner.  I will post more on that next time.









No comments:

Post a Comment